Whiplash Without a Car?
When you hear the word, “whiplash,” most people immediately picture a rear-end motor vehicle accident. But there are other ways that whiplash injuries can occur, including:
• Assault, such as being punched or shaken
• Roller coaster rides
• Sports, especially contact sports such as football or boxing
Symptoms and related pain can show up immediately or up to 72 hours after the impact that caused the whiplash injury. And the pain and discomfort can last for months if not years.
Following a whiplash injury, the goal of chiropractic care is to return affected neck joints to their normal position to relieve stress on nerves and strain on affected muscles. For best results, and to avoid the formation of scar tissue and unnecessary pain, you should make an appointment to come in for an examination as soon as possible after a whiplash injury.
4 Tips for Healthy Eating Outside of Your Home
Who doesn’t like to dine out? And with so many two working parent families and single working parents, it’s often easier to pile everyone into the car and hit the nearest restaurant for dinner. Not to mention those who live alone find it difficult to cook for only one. Question is – is it really possible to eat well when you eat out?
If you rule out fast food restaurants – yes! Here are a few ways to make healthier choices on your next date night or family outing.
• Pick fruit for dessert instead of a sugar-rich and fat-filled dessert – or order only one and share with the table!
• Don’t think you have to “clear your plate” just because it’s in front of you – ask to take the leftovers home for another meal.
• Avoid selections with mayonnaise, sour cream and butter.
• Order healthy salads as entrees.
Oh Baby, My Aching Back!
Most pregnant women generally agree on one point – that back pain is definitely a health concern at some point during their pregnancy. In fact, it is estimated that 50 – 80% of all pregnant women experience it in some form.
What can you do to alleviate it during pregnancy? Here are a few completely natural solutions to get started.
1. Exercise to strengthen the muscles in your neck, back and abdomen; try yoga or Pilates.
2. Rest as often as possible; use a body pregnancy pillow to help with additional support.
3. If you sit at a desk job, practice good posture and use a footstool.
4. Watch your weight gain – 25-35 pounds (10-15 kg) is considered fairly normal for a typical pregnancy.
5. Get regular chiropractic adjustments at our practice.
Expecting a bundle of joy soon? Give us a call to schedule your next appointment.